Hostile Twitter

Friday, August 5, 2016

Twitter has become a hostile place, not that it hasn't been hostile in the past, just that it is getting from bad to worse.

Even if I Tweet this blog post there won't be long before someone will say I'm an oldfag complaining about the newfags.

Twitter used to have an engaging community, and now publishing a tweet is like screaming out in an empty place, no one will hear you, no one will see you, no one will notice what you will say. There is very minimum interaction happening right now on Twitter.

I can't understand the reason, maybe it is because people are more engaged with local and global celebrities, or 'social celebrities', I don't know. Even with an algorithm in place if you post something on Facebook you will get at least some interaction from the community, but on Twitter now it's basically none, at least for me.

So I think I have come to a point where there is no reward or value in return after posting a Tweet. The main reason why people like social media is the reward that one get from that social platform, on Facebook it maybe the likes or the comments. On Snapchat the number of people who saw your story, on Reddit the upvotes and comments.

Although it's nothing big, that self satisfaction is the reason why people keep coming back and keep using a social platform. That satisfaction is the reward that people get in return for using that social platform. 

And when you don't get that it's very hard to keep using that social platform. Without that value it becomes a burden, and the effort being put on making a tweet becomes a sour experience.

I am not sure the experience is the same for you, but this is what I feel and I have come to a point where I am considering stop using Twitter, however I am split on this because although the community has become hostile I have made lot of good friends and had got lot of opportunities because of Twitter. Which I will lose if I leave Twitter, but if things don't change on Twitter there will be a time where the scale will be more towards leaving Twitter than staying there.

It's no wonder that people are using Twitter less and less and they are having problems in getting new users on board. If Twitter doesn't change their user experience I am sure more people will leave Twitter or stop using it altogether.


No comments :

Post a Comment